Pagina's

maandag 22 juli 2013

The Summer Bore

Considering the lack of plans for my holiday I decided to inspire our lovely supposed readers with my solutions to the summer bore. This year I didn’t make any far away holiday plans so in order to still get the feeling of really doing something I planned some small things for myself.

Citytrip Maastricht

Instead of going on one far away trip, take little trips to far away cities within your country. Maasricht is a city in the south of the Netherlands, so far away from any civilization that we jokingly call Limburg, the province it’s in, Germany or a different country altogether. I have only been to Maastricht once before and that’s what started K and my little idea of our ‘holiday to Maastricht’. We were in the train for at least as long as we were actually in the city, but hey, it’s the getting out part that counts! Having an elaborate lunch, visiting a basilica and doing some shopping made me feel wholly refreshed.  

Take a Mind Trip

Read a book! Preferably one that has some traveling in it. I’m reading Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck at the moment. Steinbeck is traveling across the U.S. in a car/caravan mash-up with his dog Charley meeting all sorts of people and all sorts of different communities. So far, so good! Before this one I read Possession which was very interesting but kinda difficult to get through at times. Finishing this I felt like I also accomplished something intelligent which made these past few weeks feel less pointless.

Into the Wild

Go out, take a walk. My parents love to do this in the evenings. My mother likes to pretend to have an errand to run like posting a letter, just to have an excuse of getting out of the house on a nice summer evening. Because of the heat during the day, the temperature is actually quite nice in the evening. Taking a ride on a bike is not a bad idea either.

Hang out with friends

My last tip is the easiest to come up with. Do fun stuff with your friends. You don’t have to schedule an entire evening or afternoon of this, coming around for a simple cup of tea will do the trick sometimes. Unfortunately, not all of us have been able to enjoy the lovely weather due to deadlines and other which left me alone at home at times, being the only one with time on their hands for a change. Going over to my friend D’s house for a cup of tea, gave her a study break and me a tiny trip across E-city. I had a great time even if it lasted only for about an hour max. 

Take your friends to the cinema! Go out of your comfort zone and see something you normally wouldn’t. Go see some action-thriller-thing or a robot movie. I found it refreshing to be one of the two women in the whole room during World War Z and Pacific Rim. Besides, going to the movies feels like a glamorous evening out and if you dress like you’re going to meet someone new you just might… ;)

- MP

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten